A drawing competition among Thai junior and senior high school students was held on 4 August 2016, the first day of the 6th Global Symposium on Gender in Aquaculture and Fisheries (GAF6). The competition was organized by the Faculty of Fisheries-Kasetsart University, the Network of Aquaculture Centres in Asia-Pacific and the USAID Oceans and Fisheries Partnership. This was the first time that an activity like this was conducted during GAF, involving the youth as part of raising awareness on gender sensitivity and advocacy.
The Youth and Fish Session was born out of the need to help raise awareness on gender in aquaculture and fisheries in schools, through art. In her Introductory speech, Dr Arlene Nietes Satapornvanit, Gender Specialist at the USAID Oceans and Fisheries Partnership, mentioned that, “We believe that we should start our advocacy about gender awareness and sensitivity at a young age, so that these concepts will be ingrained in the mindset of the youth, and they will keep and carry it on until adulthood. That being gender sensitive is not only a one-time activity but a lifestyle. The youth are the future leaders and if we have leaders who are gender sensitive, we can be assured that there is inclusivity in their actions, and that no one will be left behind.” The Youth and Fish Session was considered a pilot activity and it is hoped that this could be expanded to other countries in the region in the future.
Download the Souvenir Book of the winning entries: 2017 Youth and Fish Drawing Book.
Ten senior and seven junior high schools participated, with 2 students (male and female) from each school. They were accompanied to the venue by their parents and teachers. The competition ended after nearly 3 hours of drawing and painting and the following emerged as winners:
Senior High School Category
Ms. Thummachat Thianpattanagul and Mr. Pichaiyut Puntasen, Surasakmontree School (Teacher: Ms. Tavarat Suthapoj)
- Narumol Damrongsiriphakdee and Ms. Oranut Sangpiya, Sripruetta School (Teacher: Ms. Sumitra Kanapang)
- Nattapat Singtothong and Ms. Papichaya Rattanakom, Chonkanyanukoon School (Teacher: Ms. Chunpen Sriwara)
- Patcharin Chartupamai and Mr. Phonrapat Rungsawang, Rittiyawannalai School (Teacher: Ms. Jiraporn Punpetcharayut)
- Duenpen Pansukha and Ms. Pitchatom Wawilai, Wat Nang Sao School (Ms. Onnicha Bunyasitphichai)
- Thanachat Soisara and Mr. Pitpiboon Songmueang, Pathumkongka School (Teacher: Ms. Pornpun Pratumchai)
- Nawarat Mapralo and Ms. Karnchanok Thassanasrivorakarn, Mattayom Watthadthong (Teacher: Mr. Dome Klaysang)
- Anusorn Wannaklang and Ms. Wattanapon Kaewwichit, Matthayom Watdansamrong (Teacher: Ms. Onauma Promrit)
- Paveena Sratongrad and Ms. Paveenuch Sratongrad, Matthayom Watbuengthonglang (Teacher: Mr. Thammarong Eadrod)
- Veering Udomsopakit and Ms. Nitchamon Nitthayakoson, Wattana Wittaya Academy (Teacher: Ms. Sukon Tonsai)
Junior High School Category
Ms. Matuda Pasukee and Ms. Thanyalak Pensri, Satrisisuriyothai School (Teacher: Mr. Suthat Thanghun)
- Amornthep Loetnantaphon and Mr. Kanit Piasue, Watsuthiwararam School (Teacher: Nikorn Sathuchat)
- Akkara Pakakong and Ms. Ketmanee Sabkhongcharoen, Suksanareewittaya School (Teacher: Ms. Wasinee Mameewattana)
- Krichakarn Pirakong and Ms. Ananya Nakarat, Nawaminthrachinuthit Bodindecha School (Teacher: Ms. Suphaphit Thamrongwet)
- Hataimata Boonyaratgalin and Ms. Prapapan Pancharoen, La Salle School (teacher: Mr. Natthalerk Intharaprasart)
- Phongsakorn Thotcharoen and Ms. Rawissara Jittikul, Debsirin Romklao School (Teacher: Mr. Sakchai Charakamood)
- Ms. Ponpratan Lerknok and Ms. Supapon Apidela, Sriboonyanon School (Teacher: Mr. Pasagon Pokapin)
The organizers would like to acknowledge the panel of judges for their time in looking at all the entries. The students produced beautiful and meaningful art and it was indeed a challenge to the judges to choose the winners. Congratulations to all the students, schools, teachers and parents for their participation and support. The financial support from the Network of Aquaculture Centres in Asia-Pacific is greatly acknowledged.
The entries can be found here DOWNLOAD