We are pleased to release the latest annual E-Newsletter of the Gender in Aquaculture and Fisheries Section (GAFS) of the Asian Fisheries Society.
The E-Newsletter Editor, Surendran Rajaratnam pointed out that as he wrote his introduction, “people around the world have already endured weeks of social and economic restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The number of new infections and deaths is going down in many countries, and the restriction orders are being lifted in phases. Although people have started to resume their pre-COVID-19 life back to a certain extent, many continue to face challenges brought by the pandemic, which ranges from loss of livelihoods, jobs businesses and income to stress, depression and domestic violence, to name a few.”
We thank the CGIAR FISH program for their generous support in producing the E-Newsletter on behalf of GAFS.
To check out the many sections of good reading in the E-Newsletter, click here.
Editorial by Surendran Rajaratnam
Message from section chair: Gender equality is not built in a day by Meryl Williams
Finalizing the outputs of GAF7
- GAF7 Long Report: Expanding the Horizons
- Asian Institute of Technology-GAF7 Gender in Aquaculture & Fisheries Fellowships
- GAFS at the 12AFAF
- Gender in Aquaculture and Fisheries has strong presence at 12AFAF by Gay Defiesta
- Joint General Assembly of the Asian Fisheries Social Science Research Network (AFSSRN) and Gender in Aquaculture and Fisheries Section (GAFS) of the Asian Fisheries Society (AFS)
Stories on major events for 2019
- GAFS signs memorandum of understanding with the Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies p 9
New research & projects
- Study on demographic change in fishing communities in Cambodia and Thailand by Kyoko Kusakabe and Susana Siar p 10
- Dialogues in gender and coastal aquaculture: Gender and the seaweed farming value chain by Nikita Gopal, Swathi Lekshmi, Betty Nyonje, Meryl Williams, Kyoko Kusakabe and Kafayat Fakoya p 11
- Special issue on the Gender, Technology and Development Journal by Kyoko Kusakabe and Meryl Williams p 12
- Three tips for putting on a gender and fisheries training workshop by Danika Kleiber p 13
Other news and information
GAFS submissions to UN consultations
Information on members and membership List of communication channels for GAFS
Forthcoming events: GAF8 – Global Conference on Gender in Aquaculture and Fisheries